Three-Onion Potato Kugel
Sautéing the onions and squeezing the liquid from the potatoes creates the perfect crispy crust that makes this kugel stand out.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup potato starch
- 7 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 large shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the eggs, salt, 4 tablespoons. of oil, salt, pepper, and potato starch in to a large mixing bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10" cast iron pan over medium heat. Add onion and shallots. Sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the scallions and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool 10 minutes. Add onion mixture to the egg mixture. Wipe the pan clean and place in the oven to preheat.
- Shred the potatoes with a box grater or food processor. Working in batches, place a large handful of potato in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of them. Add them to the egg and onions and repeat with the remaining potatoes. Mix well.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Swirl to coat the pan, then add the potato mixture to the pan and immediately return to the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour until the top is dark brown and crunchy. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.