Slow Cooker Bolognese
A few minutes of stovetop cooking before turning on the slow cooker is the secret to a heavenly Bolognese with richer, deeper flavors.
Serves: 6Prep: 10 minutesCook: 2 hours 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds Kroger® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 sprig oregano
- bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound Private Selection™ Cavatappi, cooked, for serving
- Shaved Parmesan, for garnish
- Minced parsley, for garnish
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, cook onion, carrots, celery and garlic in oil until vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, add sausage by squeezing meat out of the links. Cook, gradually breaking up sausage, until done. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from pan, leaving fat behind.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine sausage, vegetables, crushed tomatoes, red wine, milk, oregano, bay leaves, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook on HIGH 2 hours.
- To serve, toss together Bolognese and pasta. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and minced parsley.