Shrimp Plantain Bowl with Mango Salsa
This bowl will transport your taste buds to the Caribbean, with hints of coconut that pair deliciously with fresh mango salsa and crispy shrimp. Caramelized plantains give this meal a sweet finish.
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 1 pound (26-30 ct.) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 plantain, peeled and cut into ½” rounds
- In a small bowl, toss together mango, red onion, pepper, lime juice and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add rice, coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook 17-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Once hot, add shrimp, season with cumin and paprika, and cook 2 minutes on each side, until pink and browned. Add lemon juice and cook 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add ⅔ cup coconut oil. Once hot, add plantain rounds and cook 2-3 minutes, until browned. Carefully flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Cook until caramelized and browned, then place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Divide rice into four bowls and top with shrimp, mango salsa and fried plantain rounds. Serve and refrigerate leftovers.