Sfratti (Honey Walnut Stick Cookies)
These sweet & spicy cookies are an Italian Rosh Hashanah tradition!
Serves: 60Prep: 50 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Hard
- 3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup honey
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using a fork slowly add the wine, starting with ¼ cup and adding more 1 tablespoon at a time, until a cohesive dough forms. Divide dough in half and flatten into discs. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan set over medium heat, bring honey, orange zest, and spices to a low boil; cook for about 5 minutes. Adjust heat as need to prevent it from boiling over. Add nuts; continue cooking an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool stirring occasionally until mixture thickens but is not set. Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll out one piece of dough into a 10”x12” rectangle. Move dough frequently to prevent sticking and add extra flour as needed. Cut the rectangle into 3 (10”x4”) pieces. Transfer to one of the parchment lined pans and keep chilled. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Divide the nut mixture between the dough pieces keeping it closest to on of the longer sides of dough. Roll each up the long way forming logs; place seam side down and evenly spaced on baking sheets.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, rotating pans halfway, or until lightly golden brown. Cool completely. Slice logs into 1” pieces at a diagonal. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Tip: Unsliced baked logs can be wrapped and frozen for up to 2 months.