Gluten-Free Pumpkin Roll
This sweet, spicy pumpkin cake rolled around a smooth cream cheese filling is both decadent and gluten-free! You will need a jelly roll pan to make the thin layer of sponge cake.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1⁄4 cup sorghum flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2⁄3 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 6 Tbsp. Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 15-by-10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Heavily grease the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together arrowroot starch, sorghum flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and granulated sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, water, and pumpkin. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into jelly roll pan. Tilt the pan to allow batter fill it entirely. Tap the pan on the counter to remove any air bubbles from the batter. Bake for 15 minutes until the cake is firm and springy to the touch.
- Dust 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar onto a clean kitchen towel. Gently flip the cake over onto the towel and remove parchment paper from the back of the cake. Use the towel to roll up the cake up and cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and shortening until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Slowly mix in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate filling until the cake is completely cool.
- Gently unroll the cake and remove the towel. Gently hold down the cake, spread the cream cheese filling over the cake, leaving about 1⁄2 inch around the edge to allow cake to seal. Re-roll cake, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 2 hours before serving.