Vitacost Certified Organic Gluten Free Amaranth Flour
From the Greek word for “unfading flower,” amaranth dates back almost 8,000 years. Actually a seed of the amaranth plant, it is known for growing quickly and thriving in difficult circumstances. The flowers remain bright and colorful long after they’ve dried, perpetuating a myth of the plant’s immortality. When Spanish conquistadors attempted to control the Aztec people, they tried to wipe out amaranth, which was a staple of the Aztec diet. But the resilient, nearly indestructible plant lived on—much to our benefit today.
You can reap its benefits in Vitacost® Certified Organic Amaranth Flour. A fine powder made from the ground seeds with a slightly sweet and nutty flavor, amaranth flour has become increasingly popular for its use in gluten-free recipes. A good source of fiber and iron, amaranth flour complements other vegan and plant-based foods.
What’s in it for you?
- 0 g trans fat
- 5 g protein per ¼-cup serving
- 3 g fiber per ¼-cup serving
Cooking & baking tips:
- Substitute 25% conventional flour with amaranth flour in gluten-free baking.
- The powder is quite absorbent, so you may need to add more water or other wet ingredients, such as applesauce.
- Combine with other gluten-free flours or starches to make breads, cookies, pancakes and more
- Use amaranth flour on its own for breading or to thicken sauces, stews, soups or even smoothies.
Vitacost® food products are manufactured to high standards of quality and safety. Each Vitacost® product meets or exceeds the standards and requirements set forth in the FDA’s Code of Federal Regulation (21 CFR, 110) Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP).